oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: netfilter-persistent: (local) information leak due to world-readable rules files

From: Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil () debian org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 15:24:05 +0100

Hi!

Thanks for your reply, really appreciated that you took time to review
the request.

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 07:54:24PM -0500, cve-assign () mitre org wrote:

iptables-persistent (in Debian) is a loader for netfilter configuration
using a plugin-based architecture.

iptables-persistent is vulnerable to a (local) information leak due to
world-readable rules files. It was reported in Debian in

https://bugs.debian.org/764645

And fixed via

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/iptables-persistent.git/commit/?id=37905034f07e94c4298a1762b39b7bbd4063c0df

Do you have any further information about why this should be
considered a vulnerability in general? We realize that it might, at
least, be considered a vulnerability for Debian systems because of
"Tags: security" in the original report.

For example, is there a specific piece of data in the files that is
always supposed to be private?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=764645#5 indicates
that an unprivileged user can obtain information by directly opening
the files, but cannot obtain this information with an
"/sbin/iptables -L" command. This does not, by itself, establish that
a security feature has been defeated. It is possible that it was
simply inconvenient to implement the -L option in a way that provided
access to unprivileged users.

What we are trying to avoid is a situation in which CVE IDs are
assigned solely because a system administrator might not want files to
be readable by unprivileged users. For example, maybe someone would
prefer stricter /etc/hosts.allow permissions to prevent rogue local
users from discovering the names of other hosts that possibly have
symmetric "allow" policies.

I can follow the reasoning. I agree that it might be borderline to
actually request a CVE for this issue. The situation which I had in
mind is a multi-user system, where the administrator has set some
iptables rules up, and the regular users of the system should not
know about how they are set up. If the admin uses iptables-persistent
from Debian these set rules (restored after boot) are disclosed though
to the users via the files /etc/iptables/rules.{v4,v6}.

Regards,
Salvatore