oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: HTTPS Only (Open Source, Python)

From: David Leo <httpsonly.github.io () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 09:58:47 -0500

Yes, Mozilla said, "Gradually phasing out access to browser features
for non-secure websites", in April 2015. After more than six months,
they have done nothing useful.

The Chrome team wanted the same stuff:
https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/marking-http-as-non-secure
Again, nothing significant has been achieved yet.

And there is HTTPS Everywhere, with SO MANY rules:
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/atlas/
It's still able to access HTTP by default, but there is "Block all
HTTP requests". The problem: nothing happens when browser tries HTTP -
there should be warning(it's incorrect behavior) and options(try
HTTPS, Google Cache, etc). People complained, months ago:
https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/issues/1329

So I made this project, because I have lost patience a long time ago.

Best Wishes,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:56 AM, P J P <ppandit () redhat com> wrote:
+-- On Thu, 11 Feb 2016, David Leo wrote --+
| If browser tries to access HTTP address,
| you will have three options:
| try HTTPS,
| Google Cache,
| or copy-and-paste the address.
|
| There is no option to "temporarily bypass HTTPS Only".
| You can always do that in another browser.
|
| Project Home Page:
| https://httpsonly.github.io/

Browsers too are moving there:
  -> https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/04/30/deprecating-non-secure-http/

(just to note)
--
Prasad J Pandit / Red Hat Product Security Team
47AF CE69 3A90 54AA 9045 1053 DD13 3D32 FE5B 041F