oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [Pool] shodan.io actively infiltrating ntp.org IPv6 pools for scanning purposes

From: Asbjorn Hojmark <lists () hojmark org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:33:52 +0100

I might just be too cynical, but it also feels like something we should come to expect. Anyone who's looked at
traffic to an Internet facing IPv4 address have seen much worse.

I (too) might just be too cynical, or in this business too long, but I feel that if you communicate on the global
Internet, you should expect to be probed. If you’re not ready to be probed, your machine shouldn’t be on the Net.
Really.

One can probe the entire v4 Internet in minutes, so being probed should not be new to any device on it. The fact that
the v6 address space takes ... slightly longer ;) to probe should not make one lazy and rely on security by obscurity,
hoping that your machine will not be seen.

That being said, I do agree that the NTP pool should try to only provide the services that it ‘advertises’. I just hope
everyone realises that with volounteers running the servers and the pool, that will be very difficult to enforce.

-A