oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE request for keepassx password database export

From: Reinhard Tartler <siretart () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 22:24:47 -0500

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 5:04 PM,  <cve-assign () mitre org> wrote:

it seems that keepassx 0.4.3 export function are a bit buggy. Starting an
export (using File / Export to / KeepassX XML file) and cancelling it leads to
KeepassX saving a cleartext XML file in ~/.xml without any warning.

This was reported privately to the Debian security team today, but it was
actually reported publicly earlier in the Debian BTS. Unfortunately the
maintainer didn't acknowledge the bug or forwarded it upstream, apparently.

It's not a terrible bug per se because leaking a user password file on purpose
would still require a lot of social engineering skills, but it still look like
it should get a CVE (an user explicitly cancelling the export surely doesn't
expect its passwords to be there in a hidden file.

canceling export operation creates cleartext copy of all of the user's
KeePassX password database entries

with Debian's default umask, the file is even world-readable in
multiuser machines

Use CVE-2015-8378.

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/keepassx.git/commit/?id=b3c9028db8ec3b8752ff47717ffc792d755c1294
should fix the issue.

Felix, I've imported the package from bzr to git and put it to
collab-maint. I have not checked whether this issue also affects the
2.0 branch. Maybe this issue would make a good case for a 0.4.4
release?

Best,
Reinhard