oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-Request: Assign CVE for common-collections remote code execution on deserialisation flaw

From: Gsunde Orangen <gsunde.orangen () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 23:48:35 +0100

It seems that IBM Websphere [1] is now using the same CVE ID as Oracle
WebLogic [2]: CVE-2015-4852
So I would go with that ID with any application around the
Commons-Collections issues.

Gsunde

[1] http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21970575
[2] https://blogs.oracle.com/security/entry/security_alert_cve_2015_4852

On 2015-11-13, 22:07 Mark Felder wrote:

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015, at 08:37, Mark Felder wrote:

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015, at 01:58, Gsunde Orangen wrote:

I share Tim's view [2] and a dozen of (own) applications we checked
won't break. A property that re-enables deserialization of course would
help additionally: allow applications that really *need* this to get it
working; but that requires an explicit step - so latest by that time:
those, whose applications break after including a "fixed" version of
Commons-Collections would (hopefully) start to think about their design.

Gsunde

[1] http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/238
[2] http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/263

This statement is how we have been operating our mitigation strategy:

"Applications which use Apache Commons Collections and do not use
deserialization are not vulnerable."

CERT has released a statement[1] indicating that you are vulnerable
simply by having this in your classpath. It does not matter if you are
doing deserialization or not. The patch[2] to disable serialization
functionality by default seems to me like the only option to mitigate
the CVE now.

[1] https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/576313
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12771520/COLLECTIONS-580.patch

... and Apache.org's statement [3] summarizes the issue and the current
status quite well

[3]
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/apache_commons_statement_to_widespread