oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: BusyBox tar directory traversal

From: Tyler Hicks <tyhicks () canonical com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 14:56:50 -0500

On 2015-10-21 10:36:33, Tyler Hicks wrote:
Hello - The BusyBox implementation of tar will extract a symlink that
points outside of the current working directory and then follow that
symlink when extracting other files. This allows for a directory
traversal attack when extracting untrusted tarballs.

I forgot to mention that I took a look at BusyBox's protections against
directory traversal attacks while extracting files with absolute paths
or dot dot ("..") components and it seems to sufficiently protect
against those attacks.

The function can be found here:

  http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/archival/libarchive/unsafe_prefix.c

Tyler