oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Prime example of a can of worms

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg () fifthhorseman net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 01:37:04 -0400

On Tue 2015-10-20 00:16:19 -0400, Kurt Seifried wrote:
So it occurs to me that we have no corpus of data on Diffie Helman primes.
With this in mind I would like to create one. Openssl command line can
easily create them, using either the 2 (default) or 5 generator (explained
at
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/54359/what-is-the-difference-between-diffie-hellman-generator-2-and-5
)

For example the following code:

#!/bin/bash
for i in `seq 1 100`;
do
    openssl dhparam 2048 -text >> $i
done

will generate 100 2048 bit primes. If you can ideally simply commit the
files to the following github repo:

https://github.com/RedHatProductSecurity/Diffie-Hellman-Primes/

simply create a directory in the root with your name/whatever you want to
call it (nothing rude please) and have a "2048" directory for the 2048 bit
primes and a "4096" directory for the 4096 bit primes I would appreciate
it. If you use a tool other than OpenSSL command line to generate the
primes please make a note of it (especially any command line options used)
in a .txt file in the root of your data directory. My goal is to collect a
few million primes of each size so we have some real data to work with.

What's the goal of this proposed corpus?  What sort of experiments are
you imagining running?

          --dkg