oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: AWS s2n

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 09:48:17 -0600

On 07/14/2015 09:08 AM, Markus Vervier wrote:

Hi,

I would like to request a CVE for s2n.

When a server is sending invalid DH values during a handshake a BIGNUM
value is not properly initialized. This causes a null pointer
dereference in a s2n based client leading to a crash or possible worse
on old systems (e.g. on Debian kernels lower than 2.6.26).

Technical details and a patch are available here:

https://github.com/awslabs/s2n/pull/124

The fix was merged and is in commit
9af6ba1815dfd5c00361cc3bd45cee1d64e0c3bf.

Markus

I just looked at the pull:

Markus Vervier noticed that our client side code isn't being
defensive enough around DHE parameters and can pass on a
"0" as the value of dh->p. Note: not that the the BIGNUM is NULL,
but that the value of the number is a literal zero.

[snip]

Reminder: Client mode is disabled and won't be enabled until X509
validation is ready. But we can still make improvements and fixes
in the meantime.

so I'm not sure this needs a CVE as the code is not yet enabled.

--
PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert () redhat com