oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Question about world readable config files and commented warnings

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:31:08 -0600

On 2015-06-29 23:11:08 -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:

 > So, if a config file is world readable by default, but the section
 > where you might put a password says:
 > # Database URI for the database that stores the package
 > # information. If it contains a password, make sure to
 > # adjust the permissions of the config
 > Is that good enough, e.g. no CVE, or do we actually need to have
 > proper permissions?

For me, that means: the developers did their best, everything else
is up to package maintainers.

And, obviously, when the administrators will fill in the connection
parameters, they most likely will see this warning.

 > I'm thinking we need proper permissions and not a note (especially
 > with administration tools/etc that may parse/modify the file
 > but not change the perms).

My experience says that developers' attempts to perform chmod (or,
even worse, chown) during `make install` are just ugly (at least
they never check whether DESTDIR is empty).

From a developer perspective I somewhat agree, however I'm looking at
this from a vendor perspective where we do control the chmod, easily
(RPM spec file).

--
PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert () redhat com