oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Hanno Boeck found Heartbleed using afl + ASan!

From: Seth Arnold <seth.arnold () canonical com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 13:35:48 -0700

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 01:27:40PM -0700, Michal Zalewski wrote:
this or any comparably serious find. Today, I'm asking myself the same
question about AFL. Was it too counterintuitive to set this up? Were
there other barriers to entry? Can I fix this now?

Hanno's trick of storing TLS packets as files is clever, but doesn't
scale far beyond testing handshakes of a handful of protocols, and that
with some effort.

If AFL could grow the ability to mangle socket-based inputs, it would
probably be more applicable to many more services, and beyond just
handshaking.

I realize it's asking for a unicorn when we've already been given a pony,
but there it is.

Thanks