oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: About PHP and CVE-2015-1353

From: cve-assign () mitre org
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 23:15:54 -0400 (EDT)

On bad input, the call will produce a bad output.

I don't see any way to exploit this for any bad thing.

I really think we should reject this CVE.
Upstream doesn't even consider this as a bug.

Multiple integer overflows in the calendar extension in PHP through
5.6.7 allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service or possibly
have unspecified other impact via a crafted year value to (1) the
GregorianToSdn function in gregor.c or (2) the JulianToSdn function in
julian.c, as demonstrated by a crafted third argument to the
gregoriantojd or juliantojd function.

We are rejecting this CVE because there is, in effect, a specification
indicating that PHP would not be the responsible product for any
security issue related to a large number in the third argument to the
gregoriantojd or juliantojd function.

The http://php.net/manual/en/function.gregoriantojd.php and
http://php.net/manual/en/function.juliantojd.php pages state:

  year

     The year as a number between -4714 and 9999

  year

     The year as a number between -4713 and 9999

(Similar documentation has existed for several years, probably going
back to when gregoriantojd and juliantojd were first implemented.)

The integer overflow occurs for a year much larger than 9999
(approximately 1.47 million). This violates the specification, and it
is reasonable for PHP's behavior to be undefined. It's conceivable
that an open-source application exists with a security impact for
untrusted input of a year such as 1.47 million: in that case, a CVE ID
could be assigned to that application.

(In other words, a CVE can exist for an integer overflow that is
relevant only because of business logic. A CVE for an integer overflow
does not require the overflow to have any effect on memory safety.)

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]