oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: WordPress 4.2.1 security update - CVE please

From: Alessandro Ghedini <alessandro () ghedini me>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:29:01 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 09:08:44PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
Hi Kurt,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 12:47:58PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_4.2.1

Version 4.2.1 addressed a security issue.   For more information, see the
release notes.

From the announcement post, WordPress 4.2.1 fixes a critical cross-site
scripting (XSS) vulnerability, which could enable commenters to
compromise a site.

Had requested CVEs for this in
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/04/26/2 .

Note that this and your request are about two different wordpress releases (at
first I got confused too by the version numbers, 4.1.2 != 4.2.1).

But there is as well a different stored XSS reported
http://klikki.fi/adv/wordpress2.html which seems to affect as well the
latest wordpress versions (not verified myself).

This blog post seems to be about the same issue fixed in 4.2.1: it talks about
comments length when inserted in the database, which is what commit [0] seems
to fix (basically the only commit in the 4.2.1 release [1]). Also, both the
wordpress announce and the blog post credit the vulnerability discovery to the
same person.

(All this to say that we need CVEs for both the 4.1.2 and the 4.2.1 releases:
they fix different issues).

Cheers

[0] https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/32307/branches/4.2
[1] https://core.trac.wordpress.org/log/branches/4.2