oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: membership request to the closed linux-distros security mailing list

From: Anthony Liguori <anthony () codemonkey ws>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:54:29 -0700

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Stuart Henderson <stu () spacehopper org> wrote:
On 2015/03/20 08:16, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I think the alternative is to formalize what already appears to be the
existing practice: disclose distros@ on the existence of a
vulnerability but require direct contact for the details of the
vulnerability if the submitter/upstream thinks the impact is high.

Are private lists even needed if this policy is taken?

I think there's a lot of value in being able to just send a low-medium
impact issue to a single list of groups that have gone through some
level of vetting without needing to respond directly to individuals
and making value judgements.

I also think it's helpful to have a single point of contact so that an
upstream isn't dealing with 10 different people from a single
organization asking for details.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori