oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE request: BD-J implementation in libbluray

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:50:34 +0100

* Sven Schwedas:

On 2015-02-23 10:34, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
On 23 Feb, Florian Weimer wrote :
Yes, I do think full sandboxing is required because content publishers
have attacked end user system integrity in the past, so I don't think
they can be trusted.

BD-J code comes from Blu-Rays. Downloading non-official blurays and
executing it is like taking random binaries from internet and running
them.

And the Sony rootkit came from official, store-bought discs …

Someone seems to have worked independently on a proof of concept for
this issue:

<https://www.nccgroup.com/en/blog/2015/02/abusing-blu-ray-players-pt-1-sandbox-escapes/>