oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE request: sudo TZ issue

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:14:32 +0100

On 02/11/2015 06:59 AM, cve-assign () mitre org wrote:
http://www.sudo.ws/alerts/tz.html

We are not sure why this is being interpreted as a vulnerability
in sudo that should have a CVE assignment in which sudo is the
responsible product. It appears that you are adding a new security
feature in which sudo chooses to help prevent exploitation of bugs
in a system library such as libc.

Changing environment variables is not compliant with the prevalent
interpretation of of POSIX, and as a result, at least glibc will not
change its behavior.  This means that AT_SECURE programs such as sudo
need to implement proper filtering.

I will obtain clarification from the Austin Group that scrubbing
environment variables in the implementation name space is allowed, and
then we can revisit this matter as far as glibc is concerned.