oss-sec mailing list archives

Assignment of CVE IDs with 5 or more digits by January 13, 2015

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () mitre org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 18:04:19 -0500 (EST)

Based on recent discussion on oss-security and general interest, I thought it was important to clarify what is currently planned for issuing 5-digit CVE IDs by the dealine of January 13, 2015.

Currently, CVE-2014-9509 is our last allocated ID from 2014. During 2015, we will continue to issue CVE-2014-xxxx IDs for other issues that were disclosed in 2014, but it is highly unlikely that we will cross the 5-digit threshold by January 13.

We will still issue at least one valid 5-digit CVE-2014-xxxxx ID, and probably more, on January 13. This is a one-time exception to our usual sequential allocation process. We are doing this as a final "test" to ensure that CVE-using implementations can handle the syntax change.

We might also issue CVE IDs with more than 5 digits, since it is highly likely that some implementations will make a 5-digit assumption, even though an arbitrary number of digits is allowed by the syntax change, which went into effect more than a year ago.

Steve Christey Coley
CVE Editor