oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: workaround for GHOST glibc vulnerability CVE-2015-0235

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 11:30:13 +0100

On 02/02/2015 03:52 PM, Constantine Shulyupin wrote:
CVE-2015-0235-workaround is a shared library wrapper with additional checks
for the vulnerable functions gethostbyname2_r and gethostbyname_r .

The proper solution for CVE-2015-0235 is to upgrade glibc to at least
glibc-2.18.

In some cases, an immediate glibc upgrade is not possible, for example in
custom production embedded systems, because such an upgrade requires a
validation of the whole system.

In such cases, this workaround provides a hot fix solution, which is easier
to validate.

Source code: https://github.com/makelinux/CVE-2015-0235-workaround

You should make all symbols static.  With the current code, you risk
symbol collisions.

Why don't you hook gethostbyname?  I'm not sure if gethosybyname is
implement in terms of gethostbyname_r.  (The call stacks I have suggest
it isn't.)