oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: xchat/hexchat don't properly verify SSL certificates

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 07:15:42 -0700

On 30/01/15 02:56 AM, Michael Samuel wrote:
On 30 January 2015 at 06:24, Sam Dodrill <shadow.h511 () gmail com> wrote:
A lot of the time IRC networks will not pay for a verified SSL cert due to
the fact that the kind of SSL cert they would need (a wildcard one) is
financially prohibitive. I don't think this is a security bug with hexchat
more a symptom of the fact that SSL combines encryption and identity
verification where sometimes people only want the former.

The correct response to this is for them to publish their self-signed
certificate (or even a CA certificate) and have it pasted into the
client, along with the configuration.

Sorry what? A DV (Domain Validated) wildcard cert is now 80-90$ a year
from many providers (google "cheap ssl"). SSL certs are no longer
expensive and have not been for many years.

The client could then perform a byte-wise compare of the public key.

I assume well-known networks could have their certificates hard-coded
into the client.

No. Just no. You put root certs on the client side, not the actual
server certs. Google "crypto agility" and so on.

--
PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993