oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: PHP

From: cve-assign () mitre org
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 14:28:51 -0500 (EST)

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 22:11:09 +1100
I'm requesting multiple CVE-ID's for multiple vulnerabilities in PHP
that I found:

Use after free in 'opcache' component of PHP
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=68677
http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commit;h=777c39f4042327eac4b63c7ee87dc1c7a09a3115

Use CVE-2015-1351.

(requests 2 and 3 are skipped because of the
http://openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/01/08/5 post)

Null Pointer Dereference in pgsql
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=68741
http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commit;h=124fb22a13fafa3648e4e15b4f207c7096d8155e

Use CVE-2015-1352 for this issue in which a return value isn't
validated.

Null Pointer Dereference in ereg(regex)
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=68740
http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commit;h=124fb22a13fafa3648e4e15b4f207c7096d8155e

Because of an unusual process step on MITRE's end, there was also some
communication about these bugs that was only between MITRE and Joshua
Rogers, without a Cc to oss-security. For Bug #68740, the additional
discussion sent to us was (more or less) was that code in between
lines 140 and 167 wouldn't change g->setbits to a non-NULL value. This
is also essentially implied by the reasoning used in the Description
section of Bug #68740. (We didn't want to send the private e-mail
here, but Joshua Rogers is free to send it if he wants.)

MITRE doesn't have a full code analysis and isn't confident about
whether the "explicit null dereference" exists or not. All we can
offer is that the "wouldn't change g->setbits to a non-NULL value"
seems somewhat implausible because it means that significant intended
functionality of the code wouldn't have worked at all.

As an example, this sequence of function calls seems possible:

  p_str - ordinary - bothcases - p_bracket - allocset

where allocset contains:

  p->g->setbits = (uch *)malloc(nbytes);

and a memset (and the code before the line-140 "g->setbits = NULL"
includes a "p->g = g").

We're going to defer a CVE assignment for Bug #68740 until someone
outside MITRE offers additional analysis. It might be worthwhile to
update Bug #68740 so that the "explicit null dereference" term isn't
used. Although maybe a code path with a NULL pointer dereference can
be found, it's apparently not the case that g->setbits is explicitly
guaranteed to be NULL on line 1279.

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]