oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: heap overflow in procmail

From: cve-assign () mitre org
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:41:14 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Jakub Wilk wrote:

* Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com>, 2014-09-03, 11:52:
I noticed a heap overflow in procmail when parsing addresses with unbalanced quotes.

Unfortunately, there's more:
https://bugs.debian.org/769937

Apparently procmail upstream is inactive; and nobody understands how this code works.

At this point, I'd recommend that formail users switch to reformail[0], which is mostly (but not completely) compatible with formail.

[0] http://www.courier-mta.org/reformail.html

--
Jakub Wilk

The Debian bug report does not contain diagnosis of the type of programming error that is triggering each crash, so it is not clear how many CVE identifiers must be assigned.

What are the root causes of the errors for each of the three test cases?

---

CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]