oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE-2014-6316: URL redirection issue in MantisBT

From: cve-assign () mitre org
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 12:00:55 -0500 (EST)

During follow-up tests he performed on the fix for CVE-2014-6316 (which was released in MantisBT 1.2.18), Alejo Popovici noticed [1] that the earlier fix was only partial.

With certain browsers (FF 34, Chrome 39 but not IE11) it is still possible to effect a cross-domain redirection using a redirect address having a single slash, e.g.

- http://example.com/mantis/login_page.php?return=https:/google.com or
- https://example.com/mantis/login_page.php?return=http:/google.com

This is essentially the same vulnerability that was described in CVE-2014-6316, but due to a different root cause (for which a patch will be issued soon).

I would like to know if I should be using the same CVE ID, or if a new one needs to be issued.

Thanks in advance.

Damien Regad
MantisBT Developer

[1] https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=17997

CVE creates separate identifiers if two bugs do not affect the same versions. This can occur with incomplete fixes. Since bug 17997 affects 1.2.18 but CVE-2014-6316 does not, a separate CVE ID is used.

Use CVE-2015-1042.

---

CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]