oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: procmail heap overflow in getlline()

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:02:03 +0100

On 12/04/2014 11:26 AM, Martino Dell'Ambrogio wrote:
For what is worth, I strongly believe this is a security bug for the
same reason.
As soon as there is an undocumented way to execute code, it will be
impossible for a .procmailrc file generator to avoid execution of code.
Workaround measures like security capabilities can not be taken into
account as they are not implicit.

There are many documented code execution opportunities (some of them still rather subtle), so I find any arguments based on the existence of a hypothetical secure procmailrc file generator not very convincing.

:0
|echo code execution >/dev/tty

:0
* ?echo code execution >/dev/tty