oss-sec mailing list archives

Wordpress WP-DB-Backup v2.2.4 Plugin Remote Database Backup Download Vulnerability

From: "Larry W. Cashdollar" <larry0 () me com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:30:11 -0500

Hello List,

So I had been tinkering with the WP-DB-Backup v2.2.4 plugin that uses security through obscurity to hide the location
of the wordpress database backups it creates.  The advisory with PoC I had been working on is here:

http://www.vapid.dhs.org/advisories/wordpress/plugins/wp-db-backup-v2.2.4/

I contacted the plugin author with my advisory and my proposed fix. The author acknowledged my work, but I never heard
from him again.

Turns out Matthew Bryant had already covered everything I had but a few months ago here:

http://thehackerblog.com/auditing-wp-db-backup-wordpress-plugin-why-using-the-database-password-for-entropy-is-a-bad-idea/

We aren’t sure if this is CVE worthy, it seems since the database is exposed one only needs to guess the database name
in order to succeed besides a bunch of brute forcing stuff. :-)  I thought I would see what you folks had to say.

Thanks
Larry