oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: Qt Creator fails to verify SSH host key

From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason () zx2c4 com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 02:58:09 +0100

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Michael Samuel <mik () miknet net> wrote:

This is a serious bug (it certainly circumvents the security of
OpenSSH),

My opinion too (obviously).

but I think
the proposed fix doesn't fit.

The patch on there most certainly won't be accepted -- it's just something
I hacked together in 5 minutes to use on my own project, and I figured the
Qt devs might get some inspiration to do it themselves, after seeing the
guts aren't really that hard.

What might be a better solution is to store the public key for all
devices, and accept
if it matches any device you've talked to before.  On discovering a
new device, it shows
the fingerprint and prompts for a name/description.

Then you can revoke devices in some other part of the UI when you need
to clean up.

That actually seems like a decent compromise.  Though, it does mean if you
compromise one device that's ever been trusted, you compromise all others
by extension. But maybe that's okay for the use here.