oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: attacking hsts through ntp

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:56:06 -0600

On 16/10/14 06:03 AM, Hanno Böck wrote:
it's a pretty neat and simple idea:
Kill HSTS through NTP by sending victims PC into the future.
https://www.blackhat.com/docs/eu-14/materials/eu-14-Selvi-Bypassing-HTTP-Strict-Transport-Security-wp.pdf

Same should work for HPKP. The idea of setting some security feature
through a header needs a revisit.
The solution would be to have a more reliable PC time. How do we do
that?

The obvious solution being to whitelist your site (in the chrome/firefox
source code)if you truly care:

email agm () chromium org asking to be added to the whitelist, from the
domain you want white listed (otherwise they tend to ignore it). Usually
within a few business days they'll add it to the source code, and then
in the next browser update they will update the list and you will now be
white listed.

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/chromium/+/trunk/net/http/transport_security_state_static.json

I've done this for my domains, you should too!

--
PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993