oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on Shellshock and beyond

From: John Haxby <john.haxby () oracle com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:21:14 +0100

On 12 Oct 2014, at 12:24, Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de> wrote:

I don't think Haskell is a magic bullet.  I do think type-rich
languages (and languages with memory safety) have a lot to offer, but
writing secure software in them is still hard.

I’d definitely agree with that.

Recently I was dealing with a problem where a developer had gone to a lot of trouble to design and implement an
insecure authentication mechanism.   He thought he was doing the right thing but he just couldn’t see the flaws in what
he’d done.

The problem wasn’t the choice of programming language (python, as it happens) it was simply that getting the design and
implementation right hard even though it looks easy.   Haskell (or Ada or CLU) would not have helped; a mathematically
rigorous approach to the problem would have helped a lot, but it would not have made it easy.  To paraphrase Gödel
somewhat: any non-trivial system has is not provably secure.

jch