oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: openssh on linux rce in sftp-only mode

From: Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 18:44:32 -0400 (EDT)

I think one has to assume if a user has unrestricted sftp access, they can
figure out how to do most anything. Even with the upstream hardening patch,
it really only protects the sftpd process. Any other processes the user may
own could be modified.

Not that easily - /proc/$pid/mem requires you to either be the same process
or be attached to it via ptrace, I think.

I can't speak for other systems (I don't understand the details), but I can
read arbitrary process memory for processes I own in Fedora 20.

Does someone know what the typical default is?

Thanks.

--
    JB