oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution through bash (3rd vulnerability)

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery () FreeBSD org>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:52:01 -0500

On 9/26/2014 9:13 AM, Christos Zoulas wrote:
On Sep 26,  1:47pm, john.haxby () oracle com (John Haxby) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: [oss-security] Re: CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution throu

| It's not so much the known attacks -- redefining ls, unset, command,
| typeset, declare, etc -- it's the future parser bugs that we don't yet
| know about.
|
| A friend of mine said this could be a vulnerability gift that keeps on
| giving.

I think that at this point the conservative approach is best, so
until the bash author figures what the best solution is, the feature
is disabled by default for NetBSD. It is not wise to expose bash's
parser to the internet and then debug it live while being attacked.

christos

FreeBSD has taken a similar approach. We have used Christos' patch and
disabled the feature by default.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/369341

Regards,
Bryan Drewery