oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: nss RSA forgery (CVE-2014-1568)

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 00:10:36 +0200

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:03:21AM +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
One serious vuln per day isn't enough, so nss decided to bring us
another one.

Mozilla reports this:
https://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2014/mfsa2014-73.html
Bugtracker entry still private, so hard to judge about details.
Interesting: Two independent discoveries (we had the same with
heartbleed and I couldn't believe this was coincidence).

This is what mcaffee has to say:
http://blogs.mcafee.com/executive-perspectives/need-know-berserk-mozilla

They say its related to BER/ASN1-parsing, but adam langley disagrees:
https://twitter.com/agl__/status/514881918110683136

And it seems cyassl had something similar, also found by intel:
http://www.yassl.com/yaSSL/Blog/Entries/2014/9/12_CyaSSL_3.2.0_Released.html

No real details yet and information seems confusing.

I also see gnutls posted a new release some days, with this entry without CVE

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/7663
"** libgnutls: Fixed issue with certificates being sanitized by gnutls prior
to signature verification. That resulted to certain non-DER compliant modifications
of valid certificates, being corrected by libtasn1's parser and restructured as
the original. Issue found and reported by Antti Karjalainen and Matti Kamunen from
Codenomicon."

which smells similar.

Ciao, Marcus