oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: pinocchio tmp vuln

From: Donald Stufft <donald () stufft io>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 03:17:03 -0400

On Sep 9, 2014, at 11:38 AM, Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com> wrote:

On 09/09/14 02:34 AM, Steve Kemp wrote:
I have to say I don't understand at all why someone would be going
through random packages from PyPi (especially test automation related)
and searching for possible security issues.

 Because although the chances of them being exploited are low they
are genuine issues which have security implications.

 There is copious documentation online about how file races are
bad, including this quick reference:

https://www.securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/seccode/FIO21-C.+Do+not+create+temporary+files+in+shared+directories

 PyPi?  've no idea why that was chosen, but I expect because it
is a large mass of code that has had little similar attention paid
to it in the past.  node.js will probably be next, I'm sure lots of
modules exist created by inexperienced developers who haven't
considered the implications of posting new code libraries.

Actually one reason I picked PyPI is simply because it has
popularity/usage info, each package web page says how many times it was
downloaded in the last day/week/month, so I picked a quick an easy audit
of packages downloaded more than 5000 times in the last month.

If there’s anything PyPI can do to help make looking for security bugs on
stuff hosted on PyPI easier just shoot me an email. I’m an admin there.

---
Donald Stufft