oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: BadUSB discussion

From: gremlin () gremlin ru
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 19:16:11 +0400

On 08-Aug-2014 09:56:34 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

The same thing goes, of course, for PCI devices, disks, CPUs,
expressCards (or whatever they're called today), firewire, RAM,
etc. all of which are becoming more hot-pluggable on modern
hardware.

PCI and firewire seem to be most dangerous, as they have full
memory access simply by design.

I have such PCI "debug board", and making one for PCI-e is on my
agenda.

A well-thought-out system-wide policy of what to do on device
hotplug might be useful, with a set of standard profiles
(single-seat personal desktop (laptop), server, multi-seat
desktop) to encourage sane behavior by default.
I have no idea what form such a policy might take, though.

I possibly have some ideas, but they have to be thought a lot.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net