oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: XSS vulnerability in apt-cacher-ng

From: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac () debian org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 15:16:23 +0200

On ven., 2014-06-20 at 12:06 +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
Hello Security Team,

I am sorry to report that one of my packages (with upstream hat on) has
an XSS attack vulnerability. The way for the attacker to exploit this is
to redirect the user's browser in a LAN to apt-cacher-ng server (which
address the attacker has to know) with a manipulated URL. Since the
location and TCP port of the cacher server are configurable, it's IMHO
not totally easy to find but is still a good attack vector with insider
knowledge.

Here is the proposed fix:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=apt-cacher-ng/apt-cacher-ng.git;a=commitdiff;h=6f08e6a3995d1bed4e837889a3945b6dc650f6ad

It simply doesn't show the path in the browser output, because it has no
value there. It only needs to be in the http status line in order to be
displayed in apt-get's messages, there is no need for users to visit
such an URL and see that message.

Hi,

it seems there is an XSS vulnerability present in apt-cacher-ng.
According to above text the issue looks minime, but I guess it still can
do with a CVE, could one be allocated?

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis