oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [FD] [oss-security] Bug in bash <= 4.3 [security feature bypassed]

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 22:51:39 -0400

Hi everyone,

Recently we discovered a bug in bash. After some time after reporting
it to bash developers, it has not been fixed.

We think that this is a security issue because in some circumstances
the bash security feature could be bypassed allowing the bash to be a
valid target shell in an attack.

We strongly recommend to patch your bash code.

Why don't fix this bug by simple adding mandatory "if" clause ?
Any comments about this issue are welcomed.

Details at:
http://hmarco.org/bugs/bash_4.3-setuid-bug.html
It looks like Rage Against The Cage has been rediscovered. Also known
as Android ADB Setuid bug.

Jeff