oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: Nagios Remote Plugin Executor <= 2.15 Remote Command Execution

From: Eduardo Tongson <propolice () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:46:48 +0800

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:11 PM,  <cve-assign () mitre org> wrote:
Use CVE-2014-2913.

Thanks.

We have not seen additional comments about whether \r would prevent an
alternate attack approach. If it does, a separate CVE ID would be
assigned. We do not know of a version of Bash in which \r separates
commands in the same way that \n does. For example:

  % /bin/bash -c "`echo -e "echo a\x0aecho b"`" | cat -v
  % /bin/bash -c "`echo -e "echo a\x0decho b"`" | cat -v
  a^Mecho b

Agreed. It's pointless to add a bunch of characters to a blacklist if
they do not have any effect.