oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: When is broken crypto a vulnerability?

From: Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:48:09 +0100

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
cve-assign () mitre org wrote:

Now there are all kinds of applications doing one of the following
things:

b) Provide an option to use AES, but they don't use it and still
create legacy "encryption".

I think it should be noncontroversial that b) is a vulnerability and
thus should get a CVE. Any disagreement here?

It's not completely clear what you mean. If it were a logic error in
the code, e.g., menu choice 2 of "AES encryption" is selected but the
code calls the function intended for menu choice 1 of "standard
encryption," then a CVE could be assigned to the specific codebase
that has that logic error.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
One product, it's already disclosed to the vendor and I will publish
details shortly. So we agree this one gets a CVE.

I could accept it if applications provide this as a compatibility
option when there's a clear sign to the user that it's not secure

There's also the question of whether the security properties are well
known, and the product does not contain any direct misrepresentation
(e.g., stating that standard ZIP encryption is "equivalent to PGP" or
"uses 2048-bit keys").

I have seen such misrepresentations, however I don't know exactly which
product it was. But I'd probably find it again.

c) Default to legacy "encryption"

Sometimes there are CVE assignments based on a general concept of "an
insecure option should not be the default" but here there's the
complication that only the insecure option has widespread cross-vendor
compatibility. One needs to consider the support costs of changing the
default. It's a usability decision for each vendor, based in part on
what they know about whether their customers use encryption for
confidentiality or for a different reason.

Well, winzip-type aes-encryption has pretty wide support. I think
roughly 80%, the main exception being the linux commandline zip
(info-zip).

calling it "ZipCrypto(insecure)" or "insecure crypto" or something
alike

It doesn't seem appropriate to make CVE assignments on the basis that
a UI omits information that is arguably well known, and is not
specific to that one product. As an extreme example, every occurrence
of an http URL in a web browser could have a tooltip stating
"http(insecure)" or "insecure http," and a subset of web users would
then be safer.

I think this is a different issue, because nobody says "encryption"
anywhere here.
It ultimately comes down to this: Do we consider "encryption" to be a
term that means "secure encryption" (something like AES) or would we
also consider a vigenere cipher "encryption"?
I'd vote that calling a well-known broken cipher "encryption" is a
misrepresentation and a possible risk.

But I get it you tend to disagree on that.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno () hboeck de