oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: python-gnupg before 0.3.5 shell injection

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:19:25 +0100

On 02/04/2014 11:04 AM, Henri Salo wrote:
On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 10:35:46AM +0100, Hanno Böck wrote:
python-gnupg 0.3.5 lists in the changelog:
"Added improved shell quoting to guard against shell injection."

Sounds like a severe security issue, but further info is lacking.

Diff attached. New function shell_quote() seems to represent major changes to
shell input quoting against unsafe input.

+# We use the test below because it works for Jython as well as CPython
+if os.path.__name__ == 'ntpath':
+    # On Windows, we don't need shell quoting, other than worrying about
+    # paths with spaces in them.
+    def shell_quote(s):
+        return '"%s"' % s
+else:
+    # Section copied from sarge
+
+    # This regex determines which shell input needs quoting
+    # because it may be unsafe
+    UNSAFE = re.compile(r'[^\w%+,./:=@-]')
+
+    def shell_quote(s):
+        """
+        Quote text so that it is safe for Posix command shells.
+
+        For example, "*.py" would be converted to "'*.py'". If the text is
+        considered safe it is returned unquoted.
+
+        :param s: The value to quote
+        :type s: str (or unicode on 2.x)
+        :return: A safe version of the input, from the point of view of Posix
+                 command shells
+        :rtype: The passed-in type
+        """
+        if not isinstance(s, string_types):
+            raise TypeError('Expected string type, got %s' % type(s))
+        if not s:
+            result = "''"
+        elif len(s) >= 2 and (s[0], s[-1]) == ("'", "'"):
+            result = '"%s"' % s.replace('"', r'\"')
+        elif not UNSAFE.search(s):
+            result = s
+        else:
+            result = "'%s'" % s.replace("'", "'\"'\"'")
+        return result
+
+    # end of sarge code

This fix appears to be incomplete:

>>> print shell_quote("'$(touch /tmp/I_was_here'")
"'$(touch /tmp/I_was_here'"

[fweimer@oldenburg ~]$ echo "'$(touch /tmp/I_was_here)'"
''
[fweimer@oldenburg ~]$ ls -l /tmp/I_was_here
-rw-rw-r--. 1 fweimer fweimer 0 Feb  4 11:12 /tmp/I_was_here

The proper way (at least if your shell runs in a UTF-8 or ISO-8859 locale) to escape shell arguments is to wrap them in '', after replacing embedded ' characters with the four character sequence '\''. However, using the subprocess module with shell=False (the default) is strongly preferred.

In both cases, you need to make sure that you prevent option injection through positional arguments. With a GNU getopt-derived command line parser, option processing can be terminated with a -- argument. (Warning: GnuPG does not strictly follow GNU command line processing conventions.)

Is anyone in touch with the python-gpg folks and can rely this information? Thanks.