oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: RESEND: CVE Request: pwgen

From: Michael Samuel <mik () miknet net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:28:26 +1100

On 11 October 2013 00:35, Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de> wrote:
(CVE worthyness:
It does not fully meet the security expectations of generating
a non-weak password by default....
)

"Exploiting in the wild" isn't what I do, but it wouldn't be hard to
weed out some pwgen passwords from public dumps simply by doing:
pwgen -cn 8 1000000000 | john --stdin pwfile

I have a program that tries to mimic the internal state and generate
in order of probability, but it still needs some tuning.  There will
be a couple of slides on pwgen at my Ruxcon talk too.

For distros not wanting to ship an insecure program, see
https://github.com/therealmik/pwgen/compare/securityfixes

I think somebody at Debian needs to do an NMU, since the maintainer is
still not responding.

Regards,
  Michael