oss-sec mailing list archives

CVE request for a vulnerability in OpenStack Nova

From: Thierry Carrez <thierry () openstack org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:43:30 +0100

A vulnerability was discovered in OpenStack (see below). In order to
ensure full traceability, we need a CVE number assigned that we can
attach to further notifications. This issue is already public,
although an advisory was not sent yet.

"""
Title: Nova live snapshots use an insecure local directory
Reporter: Daniel Berrange (Red Hat)
Products: Nova
Affects: Grizzly and later

Daniel Berrange from Red Hat reported that the directories used to
temporarily store live snapshots on Nova compute nodes were writeable to
all local users. A local attacker with shell access on compute nodes
could therefore read and modify the contents of live snapshots before
those are uploaded to the image service.
"""