oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: sup MUA Command Injection

From: Murray McAllister <mmcallis () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:26:31 +1100

On 10/30/2013 07:44 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:

On 10/29/2013 01:30 PM, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
Hi,

On full-disclosure list there was reported a command injection
vulnerability in 'sup', a console-based email client.

[0]
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/sup-talk/2013-October/004996.html
[1] http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/Oct/272

For reference quoting the upstream announce:

----cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut-----

Greetings,

Security advisory (#SBU1) for Sup

We have been notified of an potential exploit in the somewhat
careless way Sup treats attachment metadata in received e-mails.
The issues should now be fixed and I have released Sup 0.13.2.1 and
0.14.1.1 which incorporates these fixes. Please upgrade immediately
and also ensure that your mime-decode or mime-view hooks are secure
[0], [1].

This is specifically related to using quotes (',") around filename
or content_type which is already escaped using Ruby
Shellwords.escape - this means that the string (content_type,
filename) is intended to be used _without_ any further quotes.
Please make sure that if you use .mailcap (non OSX systems), you do
not quote the string.

Credit goes to: joernchen of Phenoelit (http://phenoelit.de) who
discovered and suggested fixes for these issues.

[0] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Viewing-Attachments
[1] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Secure-usage-of-Sup

You can use 'gem' to upgrade or install sup. Please report any
issues to: https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues

Regards, Gaute
----cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut-----

  Upstream fixed (as mentioned in announce) the issue in 0.13.2.1
and 0.14.1.1. Commits:

[2]
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/compare/release-0.13.2...release-0.13.2.1

[3]
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/compare/release-0.14.1...release-0.14.1.1

Could a CVE be assigned for this issue?

Regards, Salvatore

Please use CVE-2013-4478 for this issue.

To confirm, is this CVE for both the content_type issue and the filename issue?

Thanks,

--
Murray McAllister / Red Hat Security Response Team