oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2013-4287 Algorithmic complexity vulnerability in RubyGems 2.0.7 and older

From: Eric Hodel <drbrain () segment7 net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:03:00 -0700

On 2013-09-18 04:11, Eric Hodel wrote:
Here's a new patch to go with the new (unassigned) CVE.  This new patch replaces regular expression matches that are
susceptible to backtracking with a parser-like approach.

According to your patch 'versions have only one "-" (per semver)'. This
means that "*" after "(#{VERSION_PATTERN})" in ANCHORED_VERSION_PATTERN
is a bug. It should be "?". If you fix it then there should be no
problem with VERSION_PATTERN at all. AFAICT VERSION_PATTERN gives you a
linear complexity. Hence there is no need to suppress backtracking…

Good catch, I think this is a bug, but I'll need to check with the person who added that.

This patch applies to RubyGems 2.1.x releases.  I will create patches for RubyGems 1.8.23.1, 1.8.26, 2.0.9 and 2.1.4
if it there is no obvious flaw seen in it.

I would like to release this fix by Monday, 23 September as I will be traveling mid-week.

The vulnerable regular expression constants are still present, but I can't think of a way to construct them that
does not allow backtracking.

...but if you really want to suppress backtracking (say, for
optimization) it is easy: either atomic grouping for every repetition
(exactly the way you have already done but for other repetitions also)
or add extra "+" after each "+" and "*". That's according to
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-2.0.0/Regexp.html .

Thank you.  I glossed over the * in ANCHORED_VERSION_PATTERN, and this fixes the problem with minimal change (something
I would prefer for a security fix).

Here is a complete updated patch including the backtracking and extra "-" fixes:

The same script as my previous message can be used to verify it.