oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: linux-kernel priviledge escalation on ARM/perf

From: Petr Matousek <pmatouse () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:07:49 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 05:37:32PM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
Hello

I'm not really a security researcher, so hopefully I'm reporting this in
the proper way.

Thank you for the report, Vince. I think that it is completely fine -)

I have a fuzzer tool for the perf_event_open() syscall that found
a few oopses on the ARM platform, which I reported to lkml a week ago.

One of the oopses can lead to a local privilege escalation on ARM-perf.
This fix can be found here:
  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/viewpatch.php?id=7809/1
The discussion thread is:
  https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/7/259

The hope is this appears in 3.11-rc6 but my attempts to get the people at
security () vger kernel org to take this seriously didn't really go very
well.

I do have code that will exploit the kernel and give me a root shell
on an ARM Pandaboard machine running 3.11-rc4.  The exploit is a bit
fragile though:
  + Only works on ARM
  + Elevates from normal user to root, no special config required.
    perf_event syscalls run as regular users, not sure why some
    think you need root.
  + It does need a user-mappable address at an exact byte offset
    from a pmu_struct in memory.  This limits things somewhat; in
    my testing 3.11-rc kernels have INT_MIN at exactly the right place
    but the exploit doesn't work on a 3.7.6 kernel,
    it just oopses or crashes the machine.

This looks valid to me. Unless someone has any objections, can you
please Kurt assign CVE to this issue?

Thanks,
--
Petr Matousek / Red Hat Security Response Team