oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: HTTPS

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:38:01 +0200

On 08/15/2013 12:40 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
On Aug 15, 2013, at 6:31 AM, gremlin () gremlin ru wrote:
1. Not all interceptions and modifications are evil.
2. Some sites are much more evil than interceptors.

#1 is technically true but because there's no way to programmatically
determine if a interception or modification is "evil" systems should
default to disallow and allow the user to allow it (by trusting another
CA for instance for the interceptor).

I don't understand how #2 relates to HTTPS at all, TLS doesn't state
anything about the safety of the server you're connecting to only
the safety of the transport.

If you can't intercept, you don't know what's going on inside the TLS channel. A malicious peer might successfully attack your user, and you could have thwarted the attack if you had access to plaintext communications. (Yes, I understand what that sounds like.)

It used to be the case that little malicious content was hosted on major (HTTPS) sites, so analysis based on IP addresses and domain names was quite effective. This might have changed, though—all that is needed is one single, large HTTPS-enabled service provider that doesn't have adequate abuse mitigation. But I still don't think that this is a valid reason not to use HTTPS.