oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Nginx ngx_http_close_connection function integer overflow - can anyone confirm this?

From: Andrew Alexeev <andrew () nginx com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:41:27 +0400

On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Andrew Alexeev <andrew () nginx com> wrote:

On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:48 AM, Alistair Crooks wrote:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:36:17PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:

- From Bugtraq:

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/526439/30/0/threaded

Website: http://safe3.com.cn

Is this legit?

I downloaded the index.html file with curl, and embedded around line 87
was a flash file:

Unfortunately we weren't approached by "Qihoo 360 Web Security Research Team"
before this publication went out through bugtraq.

We are now trying to obtain more information from that team without much success.

We've also analyzed their report and we can't conclude this is a real vulnerability yet.
From the descriptions provided it still looks like it's somewhat spurious.

We are trying to continue investigation though.

Regrettably responsible disclosure isn't always the case. However, we can't yet confirm
it's a full one either.

We've been also directly approached by Qihoo team couple of days ago.

After a thorough examination we can tell the following:

http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx/2013-April/038701.html

Basically, we believe that nginx code distributed by Nginx Inc. is not affected by
the above mentioned report.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="/banner.swf?xml=/banner.xml" width="930" height="180">
<param name="movie" value="/banner.swf?xml=/banner.xml"/>
</object>

so I took it to be an attempt at phishing.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid in my old age?

Regards,
Alistair