oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Request for linux-distros list membership

From: Allan McRae <allan () archlinux org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:42:26 +1000

On 21/04/13 06:29, Solar Designer wrote:
Hi Allan -

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 06:58:14PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
I would like to request membership to the linux-distros mailing list
representing Arch Linux.

Normally, I'd ask an existing security contact or a project leader to
approve this, but there don't appear to be people with roles like these
at Arch Linux - or are there, and who are they?  (Apparently, there was
a leader until 2007.)

https://www.archlinux.org/developers/ lists you as "Toolchain
Maintainer, Pacman Developer", which sounds like a sufficiently core
role for you to appoint yourself (or someone else) as a security contact
for Arch Linux, if/since there's no security contact nor a leader.

We do have a project leader who is Aaron Griffin, although his role
tends to be limited to administrative things these days.  But as your
research suggested, I am in a position to appoint myself as security
contact and messages to security () archlinux org will be sent to me.

Please add Arch Linux information to:

http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/vendors

Will do.

How do you expect to use the information arriving via linux-distros?

I am intending to form a more official security response in Arch Linux
rather than the quite adhoc process we have at the moment.  The
information on linux-distros will be used to prepare updates to be
released at the end of relevant embargo.

Allan