oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Linux kernel + devtmpfs automount == insecure /dev/{,u}random mode

From: gremlin () gremlin ru
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:32:59 +0400

On 13-Mar-2013 15:54:15 +0400, gremlin () gremlin ru wrote:

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0012.2/0502.html
Yes, I've found that while investigating the possible impact. Also,
the random.c doesn't use the data directly, but instead hashes it.

And that has some impact: the malicious (or just curious) unprivileged
user may run flood the devices with garbage, and the kernel will spend
resources hashing it.

Try this: `dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/urandom`

On a Core i5-2400 3.10GHz CPU, only 16 processes running for several
minutes result in all cores loaded at 99% and the load average of 20.
My workstation has survived the experiment, but heavy-loaded servers
may dislike that :-)

But my opinion stays exactly the same: devices should be 0644, and
only trusted random data sources should be used to add entropy to
the pool via add_device_randomness().
So, I'll just restrict the access to /dev/{,u}random locally :-)

... and recommend others do the same.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG key ID: 0xEF3B1FA8, keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net