oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: gnome-keyring does not discard stored secrets in some cases

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:36:56 +0100

On 01/11/2013 08:38 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
On 01/10/2013 11:45 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
I had trouble finding a caller of this function, but the submitter
indicated that gnome-power-manager uses it in older versions:

<http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-power-manager/tree/src/gpm-control.c?h=gnome-2-32#n162>

  I'm not sure if this needs a CVE, but it's probably worth fixing
anyway.

What security violation occurs/what trust boundary is crossed?

I think the expectation was that key material is discarded on suspend/hibernate. This seems quite desirable for hibernate without encrypted swap.

I've verified that Fedora 17 (GNOME 3.4) does not discard cached keys on suspend and hibernate, either. (Swap is encrypted, though, at least I selected that in the installer.) However, I suspect that users expect that suspend (but perhaps not hibernate) does not discard keys.