oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: ruby file creation due in insertion of illegal NUL character

From: Simon McVittie <smcv () debian org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 19:14:22 +0100

On 17/10/12 18:03, Kurt Seifried wrote:
Avtually looking at that page it appears that no modern file
systems allows NUL in a file name (and in general I suspect it's a
bad idea/leads to some nasty edge case issues).

Anything that, directly or indirectly, uses Unix-style APIs to access
files can't possibly support NUL in a filename anyway, since those
APIs receive the filename as a NUL-terminated string.

Personally I think the perlopentut case makes sense, using NUL as
an end of string marker. What happens if stuff comes after it
though?

For Perl, one possibility would be to continue to treat an input of
"foo\0" as equivalent to "foo" (so that you can use "./ foo \0" to
mean " foo ", as documented), but disallow NULs anywhere except the
last position.