oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Strange CVE situation (at least one ID should come of this)

From: Vincent Danen <vdanen () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 21:28:47 -0700

* [2012-12-05 20:50:57 -0500] Josh Bressers wrote:

>On 10/26/2012 01:54 PM, Josh Bressers wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This Squirrelmail plugin came to my attention a few weeks back:
>> http://squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=117
>>
>> It's from 2004, which is suspect in itself, but I took a look
>> after
>> someone asked. It's pretty scary in there.
>>
>> If I was to list the security problems I found after a few minutes
>> of looking, they are:
>>
>> * It uses MD5 passwords
>
>Going with this one since there's a good number of MD5 related CVE's
>already.
>
>Please use CVE-2012-5623 for this issue.

Shouldn't this be a 2004 CVE, since it was fixed in 2004?

No, it's not fixed at all. The module would need a rather invasive rewrite
to "fix" this. I really just wanted a CVE ID as a warning of "don't use
this". 2004 is the last time it was updated :)

Thanks.

Aha!  Sorry, I'm dense.  Thanks for the clarification.  =)

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Security Response Team