oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE Request -- fwknop 2.0.3: Multiple security issues

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:11:08 -0600

On 09/19/2012 03:26 PM, Michael Rash wrote:
On Sep 19, 2012, Jan Lieskovsky wrote:

Hello Kurt, Steve, vendors,

multiple securit issues have been corrected in 2.0.3 upstream
version of fwknop
(http://www.cipherdyne.org/blog/categories/software-releases.html):

-
1) multiple DoS / code execution flaws: Upstream patch: [1]
http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=d46ba1c027a11e45821ba897a4928819bccc8f22

2) server did not properly validate allow IP addresses from malicious
authenticated clients Upstream patch: [2]
http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=f4c16bc47fc24a96b63105556b62d61c1ba7d799

3) strict filesystem permissions for various fwknop files are not verified
4) local buffer overflow in --last processing with a maliciously
constructed ~/.fwknop.run file Upstream patch: [3]
http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=a60f05ad44e824f6230b22f8976399340cb535dc

For the remaining ones:
======================= 5) several conditions in which the server
did not properly throw out maliciously constructed variables in
the access.conf file Upstream patch: [4]
http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=e2c0ac4821773eb335e36ad6cd35830b8d97c75a

Note: This doesn't look like a security flaw (previously possible to
provide malicious values
to access.conf file, but I assume it would required administrator
privileges).

6) [test suite] Added a new fuzzing capability to ensure proper
server-side input validation. Note: Test-suite add-on, no CVE
needed.

7) Fixed RPM builds by including the $(DESTDIR) prefix for
uninstall-local and install-exec-hook stages in Makefile.am.
Upstream patch: [5]
http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=c5b229c5c87657197b0c814ff22127d870b55753

 Note: Also doesn't look like a fix for a security flaw.

Could you allocate CVE ids for issues 1), 2), 3), and 4) ?

[Cc-ed Damien and Michael from fwknop upstream to confirm they
{the first four} should receive a CVE identifier].

I would say that the first four should receive CVE identifiers,
yes. For 5), it could be a security issue in older versions of
fwknop if the umask at install time was permissive enough to allow
non-admin users to modify the access.conf file, but this is
unlikely I think so probably doesn't deserve a CVE identifier.

I will be doing the CVE assignments in a bit (need to check up on
these) but as far as access to config files due to bad umask, that's a
configuration problem that doesn't deserve a CVE in this instance (and
in most instances).

Thanks,

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993