oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: libdbus hardening

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:22:28 +0400

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 04:11:12PM +0200, Sebastian Krahmer wrote:
I am fine with either solution and would prefer upstream patches
anyway, but it turned out in past that nobody from upstream
is willing to add such patches.

If this is not for upstream and you only need it working on a particular
distro with glibc, then why not use __secure_getenv()?

I tried a year ago with openssl and AFAIK its still suffering
(at least I never heared back).

If you compile your openssh '--with-ssl-engine' you have
an easy root exploit (given that ssh-keysign is mode 04755
such as on Debian) via OPENSSL_config().

If you ask me, thats quite poor for a framework that wants to
add security to the system.
So, I do not have any problems adding our own patch sets rather
than waiting for another year.

Of course.

Alexander